A 12-year-old boy is accused of raping an 11-year-old girl near a dumpster on the playground of Public School 12 in South Troy on Friday.
The boy is being held at a juvenile detention facility awaiting a re-appearance in Rensselaer County Family Court. Minors younger than 16 cannot be prosecuted by a county district attorney.
According to Mathew B. Tully, the girl’s attorney, the children, both fifth graders but who attend different schools, were playing together at the playground over the Thanksgiving recess. The boy reportedly challenged the girl to a race, chased her behind the school where he raped her.
Because of the state law, the Rensselaer County district attorney’s office was not involved in the case initially which upset the girl’s family because the victim was not availed the services of the Special Victim’s Unit of the prosecutor’s office.
However, an hour after Tully held a news conference, Rensselaer County district attorney Patricia DeAngelis reportly contacted him and said that counseling and other services would be made available to the victim through her office.
Tully is also upset with the school district which has said that they will not take any action against the boy. “What is the Troy City School District doing to prevent this kid or other violent sexual perpetrators from harming out children on school grounds?” Tully asked. In a television interview Tuesday night, Tully questioned if there had been other incidents of sexual abuse which had been “hushed” up by Troy City Police and the school district.