Your relationship with an attorney begins with the initial consultation, which is a confidential meeting where you can discuss your legal matter with a lawyer.
In this video, Tully Rinckey PLLC Managing Partner Greg T. Rinckey explains what you should expect to happen during your initial consultation:
- You will inform the attorney of your legal matter, including your goals and unique situation.
- You will receive advice and opinions on your legal matter from the attorney.
- You will decide, with the help of the attorney, the best course of action to resolve you legal matter.
Why You Need a Lawyer
The practice of law is complex. An attempt to independently resolve your legal matter without the help of experienced counsel could hurt your prospects for a positive resolution. During your initial consultation, you will learn why it is in your best interest to be represented by a lawyer. A Tully Rinckey PLLC attorney, for example, could help you with following:
- Determining whether your potential claim is legally valid and identifying ways it can be preserved;
- Explaining in simple terms any rules or laws that are applicable to your potential claim;
- Making sure deadlines are met;
- Presenting evidence and making legal arguments to support your claim;
- Examining and cross-examining witnesses; and
- Negotiating a settlement.
An initial consultation can set the tone for your case. Here are a few tips on how to get started on the right foot:
- Remember that whatever you disclose to an attorney during the initial consultation will be kept confidential.
- Don’t withhold information that, despite being embarrassing or personal in nature, is relevant to your legal matter. An attorney’s assessment can be skewed by incomplete disclosures.
- Present the facts to the attorney as objectively as possible. Exaggerations or understatements could skew the attorney’s assessment of your legal matter.
- Supply the attorney with contact information for people relevant to your legal matter.
- Supply the attorney with relevant – but not excessive–documentation.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions about your legal matter or the attorney’s experience.
- Know that, even if you do not retain the attorney after the initial consultation, whatever you disclosed to him or her will remain confidential.
Tully Rinckey PLLC’s attorneys represent clients throughout Rochester, Batavia, Geneseo, Canandaigua, Albion, Elmira, Horseheads, Corning, Hornell, Watkins Glen, Seneca Falls, Geneva, Lyons, Marion, Warsaw, and Penn Yan. Call today to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers at 585-492-4700 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your legal matter is urgent, call 518-727-3593 to speak to an attorney 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Rochester police arrested Malik Hymes for illegally recording a murder trial earlier this month and then later posting that video on social media. The specific charge Hymes faces is violating a section of the New York civil …
At the start of 2003, Richard Leon Wilbern’s life was a financial disaster. He’d lost his house to foreclosure. He’d declared bankruptcy, burdened by more than $67,000 in debt, but had stopped making the small payments he’d promised to assuage creditors. Even …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Expands into New Rochester Office Tully Rinckey recently held a ribbon cutting and open house for its new office space at 400 Linden Oaks, Suite 110, Rochester. The firm’s new 4,360-square-foot office space is one of seven …
Law firm gives “Casual Friday” a whole new meaning WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WKBW) – A Western New York law firm is giving “Casual Friday” a whole new meaning. The Tully Rinckey Firm is cashing in on employees who want to wear …
Tully Rinckey PLLC is continuing its efforts to honor and assist the defenders of our freedom this holiday season by donating warm winter coats to local homeless veterans. The veteran-owned law firm will donate Carhartt coats to the Albany Housing …
Delaney Promoted to Helpdesk Manager at Tully Rinckey PLLC April 14, 2016 – Albany, N.Y. – Tully Rinckey PLLC is pleased to announce the promotion of Brandon Delaney to Helpdesk Manager. For the past five years, Delaney has served as …
Tully Rinckey PLLC’s “Jeans and Sneakers” initiative funds services for Western New York veterans March 25, 2016 – Rochester, N.Y. –In an effort to continue its long tradition of giving back to veterans in need, Tully Rinckey PLLC has provided …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Founding Partner among most influential veterans of 2015 March 23, 2016 – Albany, N.Y. – Tully Rinckey PLLC Founding Partner Mathew Tully was recognized yesterday as one of 2015’s most influential and impactful veterans. Tully’s accomplishments and …
You’re Invited: Tully Rinckey PLLC Binghamton Office Ribbon Cutting Tully Rinckey PLLC, an upstate-wide coast-to-coast 70 attorney full-service law firm, is holding a ribbon cutting for its new office space at 4100 Vestal Road, Suite 104, Vestal, NY 13850 on …