The adoption process can be as exciting as it is nerve-wracking, and both adoptive parents and birth parents should not go through it without consulting with an attorney. Through adoption, a non-parent can establish a legal parental relationship with a child and a biological parent can sever his or her legal rights to a child.
Tully Rinckey PLLC’s adoption attorneys in Syracuse, N.Y. are experienced in representing both adoptive parents and birth parents in various types of adoptions, including agency, foreign, foster, private, same-sex parent, stepparent, and grandparent.
How We Can Help
The most important part of the adoption process is the surrender or termination of the birth parents’ rights. It is crucial that all the necessary surrender or termination documentation is provided and properly completed or the birth parent(s) could attempt to reclaim their child. Our adoption lawyers in Syracuse, N.Y. can assist birth parents and adoptive parents by providing the following legal services:
- Advising adoptive parents of their rights in relation to their adopted child
- Preparing adoption documents and appearing at necessary court appearances
- Ensuring all birth parent surrender/termination documents have been submitted and are properly completed
- Representing adoptive parents in litigation stemming from the birth parents’ attempt to rescind the surrender
- Assisting a party in a same-sex marriage/same-sex relationship or step-parent situation to establish a legal parental relationship with his or her partner’s child
- Acting as a liaison between the adoptive parents and public or private adoption agencies
- Advising birth parents of the rights they are surrendering through adoption
- Working with birth mothers on behalf of adopting parent in private or open adoptions
- Representing birth parents in litigation stemming from their attempt to rescind the surrender
- Negotiating open adoption agreements under which birth parents are afforded periodic updates or information about the surrendered child
Types of Adoption
Tully Rinckey PLLC’s family and matrimonial lawyers in Syracuse, N.Y. can assist adoptive parents with various types of adoptions including:
- Agency adoptions: Usually involves charities or state agencies that place children who were surrendered to them by biological parents, who are in foster care or who are wards of the state.
- Open adoptions: Occurs when the adoptive parents either directly or indirectly maintain contact with the birth parent both prior to the birth of the child and after the adoption.
- Relative, grandparent, stepparent adoptions: Permits another member of a birth parent’s family to either become an additional parental party or take over that responsibility.
- Second parent: Ideal for unmarried or same-sex couples where the non-parent wants to establish a legal parental relationship with his or her partner’s child.
The adoption lawyers at Tully Rinckey PLLC can represent adopting parents and birth parents throughout Central New York, including Syracuse, Cicero, North Syracuse, Manlius, Liverpool, East Syracuse, Cazenovia, Baldwinsville, and DeWitt. Call today to schedule a meeting with one of our adoption attorneys at 315-492-4700 or e-mail email@example.com. Click here to view a video about our consultation process.
Our office is minutes away from Destiny USA, formerly the Carousel Mall, and several courthouses. Located in Franklin Square, near exits for I-81 and I-690, our office is easy to get to and offers plenty of nearby parking.
If your legal matter is urgent, call 518-727-3593 to speak to an attorney 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The firm is responsive to the needs of current and prospective clients. We will respond to phone calls within normal business hours and e-mails within hours on the same business day. The quickest way to get a hold of us is by calling. During normal business hours, we have a client relations team that can put potential clients in touch with the attorney whom they need. If you call or e-mail us after hours, you should expect to hear from our office by the next business day.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
“Thank you for all your help, Barb. You are terrific and I will exuberantly tell anyone looking for the best lawyer about you!” – K.L. on Partner Barbara King Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes
“Jennifer was very helpful and compassionate during a difficult time in my marriage. She listened to my concerns and knew legal rules I had no idea about. She handled my divorce in a most timely fashion which I appreciate. She …
“She was (and is!) an excellent attorney: bright, concerned about me, responsive, skillful, and she let me be part of the decision-making. She demonstrated the perfect mix of professional and personal concern and I felt totally comfortable with her at …
New York’s no-fault divorce law has made it faster and easier for couples to split in the two years since the law took effect. What’s less clear as of today, the law’s two-year anniversary, is how much credit it should receive …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Family and Matrimonial Partner Barbara King provides legal insight to listeners on WGNA. This week, Ms. King addresses the impact of a child’s preference on custody, the implications for infidelity on spousal support, and the allocation of …
Originally posted in the New York Law Journal. The ability to serve the legal needs of poor and nearly poor New Yorkers remains, despite enormous effort, short of the mark. For the second year in a row, the Task Force …
By Mathew B. Tully Question: I’m divorced and own a restaurant. My business is still reeling from a horrible winter and I’m having trouble meeting my child support obligations. At what point does a decline in business merit lower child …
You’re Invited: Tully Rinckey PLLC Binghamton Office Ribbon Cutting Tully Rinckey PLLC, an upstate-wide coast-to-coast 70 attorney full-service law firm, is holding a ribbon cutting for its new office space at 4100 Vestal Road, Suite 104, Vestal, NY 13850 on …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Partner, Richard H. Sargent, will be participating at the Syracuse Elder Law Fair at the OnCenter on May 8th. Mr. Sargent will be available to answer questions on estate planning, long term care and power of attorney. …
Please join our partners, associates, staff and members of the community as we celebrate the opening of our office in Syracuse, NY. Date: Time: Address: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:00am 507 Plum Street, Suite 103 Syracuse, NY 13204 Join us …