When parents no longer live together, either due to a separation, divorce or other factors, they may want or need to formalize a custodial arrangement. In some cases, a family court may have to determine child custody concerns.
The child custody attorneys at Tully Rinckey PLLC in Syracuse, N.Y. can help parents start the process of formalizing custodial arrangements or amending existing arrangements. In the appropriate circumstances, our attorneys can help grandparents, siblings or other family members petition for custody.
Types of Custody
- Temporary custody (“pendente lite”): Establishes a temporary custody and parenting time while the case is pending in court.
- Physical custody (“residential custody): Determines the “primary custodial parent” with whom a child will reside a majority of his or her time.
- Legal custody: Grants a parent the authority to make major decisions concerning the child’s education, health care, religion, and general well being.
- Joint legal custody: Requires both parents to mutually agree on major decisions concerning the child’s education, health care and religion.
- Shared custody: An arrangement in which both parents to spend an equal amount of time with the child.
How We Can Help
Tully Rinckey PLLC’s custody lawyers in Syracuse, N.Y. can do the following for parents:
- Negotiate voluntary custody agreements
- Seek a temporary custody order
- Prepare custody petitions
- Prepare custody modification petitions
- Prepare petitions for enforcement of custody or parenting time orders
- Prepare family offense petitions
- Gather evidence that can influence custody judgments
- Represent the parent in child custody litigation
There are several factors that courts will consider when making child custody decisions. It is strongly recommended parents be represented by a family and matrimonial attorney who can compile hard evidence and create a compelling case for why the parent should be granted custody of the child.
Factors Influencing Child Custody in New York State
- A parent’s ability to foster a healthy relationship between the child and the other parent
- Child preference (in specific circumstances)
- Parent availability
- Parents’ observable behavior in court
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Criminal activity
- Each parent’s home environments
- Prior court judgments concerning abuse or neglect
- Each parent’s mental, emotional and physical health
- Opinions of counselors, school officials or family members
- Voluntary custody agreements
- Parent-child relationships
The child custody attorneys at Tully Rinckey PLLC’s can represent parents throughout Central New York, including Syracuse, Cicero, North Syracuse, Manlius, Liverpool, East Syracuse, Cazenovia, Baldwinsville, and DeWitt. Call today to schedule a meeting with one of our custody attorneys at 315-492-4700 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to view a video about our consultation process.
Our office is minutes away from Destiny USA, formerly the Carousel Mall, and several courthouses. Located in Franklin Square, near exits for I-81 and I-690, our office is easy to get to and offers plenty of nearby parking.
If your legal matter is urgent, call 518-727-3593 to speak to an attorney 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The firm is responsive to the needs of current and prospective clients. We will respond to phone calls within normal business hours and e-mails within hours on the same business day. The quickest way to get a hold of us is by calling. During normal business hours, we have a client relations team that can put potential clients in touch with the attorney whom they need. If you call or e-mail us after hours, you should expect to hear from our office by the next business day.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
“Thank you for all your help, Barb. You are terrific and I will exuberantly tell anyone looking for the best lawyer about you!” – K.L. on Partner Barbara King Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes
“Jennifer was very helpful and compassionate during a difficult time in my marriage. She listened to my concerns and knew legal rules I had no idea about. She handled my divorce in a most timely fashion which I appreciate. She …
“She was (and is!) an excellent attorney: bright, concerned about me, responsive, skillful, and she let me be part of the decision-making. She demonstrated the perfect mix of professional and personal concern and I felt totally comfortable with her at …
New York’s no-fault divorce law has made it faster and easier for couples to split in the two years since the law took effect. What’s less clear as of today, the law’s two-year anniversary, is how much credit it should receive …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Family and Matrimonial Partner Barbara King provides legal insight to listeners on WGNA. This week, Ms. King addresses the impact of a child’s preference on custody, the implications for infidelity on spousal support, and the allocation of …
Originally posted in the New York Law Journal. The ability to serve the legal needs of poor and nearly poor New Yorkers remains, despite enormous effort, short of the mark. For the second year in a row, the Task Force …
By Mathew B. Tully Question: I’m divorced and own a restaurant. My business is still reeling from a horrible winter and I’m having trouble meeting my child support obligations. At what point does a decline in business merit lower child …
You’re Invited: Tully Rinckey PLLC Binghamton Office Ribbon Cutting Tully Rinckey PLLC, an upstate-wide coast-to-coast 70 attorney full-service law firm, is holding a ribbon cutting for its new office space at 4100 Vestal Road, Suite 104, Vestal, NY 13850 on …
Tully Rinckey PLLC Partner, Richard H. Sargent, will be participating at the Syracuse Elder Law Fair at the OnCenter on May 8th. Mr. Sargent will be available to answer questions on estate planning, long term care and power of attorney. …
Please join our partners, associates, staff and members of the community as we celebrate the opening of our office in Syracuse, NY. Date: Time: Address: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:00am 507 Plum Street, Suite 103 Syracuse, NY 13204 Join us …