In The News

Back to all news

Congress gave feds a 3-month break from layoffs. A court decides what happens next

As Featured On:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Federal News Network) — Lawmakers gave federal employees a three-month reprieve from governmentwide layoffs, as part of back-and-forth budget negotiations following the longest shutdown last fall.

But those protections are set to expire on Friday.

When Congress ended the longest government shutdown last fall, it passed a continuing resolution with a provision barring layoffs through Jan. 30.

Those layoff protections were extended into mid-February, when lawmakers passed a second stopgap spending bill that kept the Department of Homeland Security funded through Feb. 13.

Congress left town Thursday after failing to reach a deal to fund DHS, making it almost certain that the department will be impacted by a partial government shutdown at the end of Friday.

Language in the stopgap spending bills prevented several agencies from proceeding with reductions in force targeting about 4,000 federal employees.

But with the continuing resolution set to expire, agencies will likely be free to proceed with mass layoffs. The specifics of those next steps will be decided by a federal court in San Francisco.

Judge Susan Illston is scheduled to hold a hearing on Friday afternoon in a lawsuit that blocked the Trump administration from proceeding with these layoffs during last year’s 43-day government shutdown.

Michael Fallings, managing partner at Tully Rinckey PLLC, said the Trump administration is likely to pursue more layoffs if the court allows them to proceed.

“This administration still has a goal to reduce the size of the federal workforce. I would believe, based on past statements and prior actions, that they may consider attempting to conduct further RIFs to reduce the size of the workforce,” Fallings said.

Most agencies rescinded the RIF notices they sent during last year’s shutdown. The State Department, however, did not rescind RIF notices it sent to about 250 Foreign Service employees last summer.

Bloomberg reported that in a hearing last month, Illston ruled that the State Department didn’t need to rescind its RIF notices, after she determined that those layoffs fell outside the layoff protections Congress approved.

“This is a very close call, and I’ve gone back and forth on it since the issue was raised,” Illston said in a Jan. 9 hearing, Bloomberg reported. “I don’t think my order, or, frankly, the CR, calls for their rescission.”

Bloomberg reported that during the hearing, Illston said she “cannot understand why the government is fighting about this,” since the administration could issue new RIF notices and remove employees months later, rather than fire them immediately.

Until the court’s ruling, Fallings said employees who previously received RIF notices are left waiting on the status of their jobs.

“Having an agency just kind of wait it out is somewhat concerning, just because you’re leaving your workforce … in question, as far as what work they have to take on. And then it could even impact recruiting as well, because you’re not knowing how many more employees you’re going to need,” he said.

Read More

Recent Posts

You can contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via phone at 8885294543, by e-mail at info@tullylegal.com or by clicking the button below:

Ready to book your consultation? Click below to pay our consultation fee and book your meeting with an attorney today!

Contact us today to schedule your consultation.

Get Started